Fog of Memory




I was gobsmacked by the comments of the news anchor at NBC in America who, after being caught out in a Walter Mitty story over his role in the Iraq war, issued a statement to say that he would be back to continue his:

 "career-long effort to be worthy of the trust of those who place their trust in us".

Now the 'fog of war' doesn't really do this whole business justice because I think a person would remember very clearly if they had been inside a helicopter which had been shot down under hostile fire.

As opposed to following on some way behind in a completely different helicopter which did not come under attack, and for an experienced journalist this is a big deal more than just an innocent 'fisherman's tale'.   

Brian Williams Takes Break from NBC After Helicopter Story Scandal

Brian Williams
Photo - MONICA SCHIPPER/GETTY

BY MICHELE CORRISTON - People Magazine



Brian Williams is taking a break from his NBC Nightly News duties as the network investigates false claims he made about his time covering the War in Iraq.

"In the midst of a career spent covering and consuming news, it has become painfully apparent to me that I am presently too much a part of the news, due to my actions," he said in a note to NBC News staff Saturday.

"As Managing Editor of NBC Nightly News, I have decided to take myself off of my daily broadcast for the next several days, and Lester Holt has kindly agreed to sit in for me to allow us to adequately deal with this issue," he continued. "Upon my return, I will continue my career-long effort to be worthy of the trust of those who place their trust in us."

The scandal came to a head earlier this week, when he repeated his 2013 claim that he was in a helicopter brought down by enemy fire while embedded with soldiers in 2003.

Army vets actually on the aircraft called him out on Facebook, and Williams, 55, apologized on air, explaining he was actually flying behind the helicopter and blaming "the fog of memory" for the slip-up.

NBC has also launched an internal investigation.

Popular posts from this blog

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence