Tea and Toast


A reader who was present at the recent Employment Tribunal hearing involving North Lanarkshire Council has got in touch to say that she was shocked at the Council's attempt to belittle the job of Home Care workers, as if all they do is make clients 'tea and toast'.

Now I'm not a Home Care worker, but my mother used to rely on support from home carers for a number of years, before she had to move into a residential home, and I have to say that their kindness, good humour hard work was vital in ensuring that my mum was able to live independently in later life, as her health slowly deteriorated. 

I'm sure that the carers who looked after my mum did make her a cup of tea from time to time, but they also did a hell of a lot more besides (which I saw with my own eyes)  which was all about her health, safety and wellbeing.

So if I am insulted at North Lanarkshire's attitude, then I can only imagine that the Council's Home Care staff must be hopping mad, and rightly so if you ask me.

And to add insult to injury, I'm told that the Council's evidence to the tribunal hearing also contained the barmy suggestion that the process of changing a 'continence pad' could completed in just one minute, i.e. 60 seconds. 

I just hope that more NLC Home Carers get along to the hearing in the New Year to hear for themselves what the Council's head of human resources, Iris Wylie, has to say.

I'm certainly planning a 'front row' seat.  

North Lanarkshire Council (8 November 2014)



A number of readers have been in touch over the recent Employment Tribunal involving North Lanarkshire Council where a Council witness apparently made some very unkind and uncomplimentary remarks about of the nature of the jobs carried out by Home Carers. 

Now I wasn't actually present at the hearing on that day and didn't hear what was said, but I'm told that the Council's portrayal of the vital work done by Home Carers was derogatory and unjustified.

So if you know anyone who was present at the recent Glasgow tribunal hearing and can tell me first hand what was said, I'd be delighted to hear from them.   

Popular posts from this blog

SNP - Conspiracy of Silence

LGB Rights - Hijacked By Intolerant Zealots!